Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tips for Living with POTS

So, here, I will show you some tips for living with POTS. Some of these tips are from doctors and some are from my personal experience. A lot of these tips have to do with being at home, if your symptoms aren't bad enough to keep you at home, then some of these tips don't apply to you.


  1. High Salt and Water Diet: It is important to be on a high salt diet. Try to get in 10,000 mg of sodium everyday. I know that 10,000 mg is a lot and it's hard to get in that much everyday. Just remember 10,000 mg is a goal, not a requirement. Just try to write down everything you eat and how much sodium is in it so you can keep track of how much salt you get in. Next you need to try and drink about 3 liters of water everyday. The high salt and water diet will help increase your blood volume. By doing this, it makes it easier for your body to pump the blood to your head when you stand up. 
  2. Light Exercise: A little bit of exercise everyday is good, but always remember to begin with all of your exercises sitting down. (i.e. recumbent bike or swimming). Exercise will help to tone the muscles in your legs thus making it easier for them to pump the blood to your head. 
  3. Lift the Head of your Bed: You should also try to tilt the head of your bed up by 6 inches. By doing this your body will be on a downward slope while you sleep giving your legs some "practice" at pumping your blood at an angle. This helps them get toned to pump blood when you stand up during the day. 
  4. Natural Sleeping Supplements: When you have POTS, it is very common to have trouble sleeping. I (and my doctors) suggest that you should try some natural sleeping supplements. I really like Melatonin. Melatonin is actually a natural chemical that your brain makes to make you sleepy. You can get melatonin in a tablet or capsule form. Another supplement would be, Valarian Root. Valarian root helps to calm and relax you. You can find it in a capsule form. Also, you can open up the capsule and dump it into some tea if you would rather take it that way. I've also found it helpful to take a Valarian Root capsule if I'm having an anxiety attack to help calm my nerves. If you are having real problems sleeping, you can also take some Benadryl as needed. 
  5. Do NOT use salt tablets: I know that it can be hard to get in a lot salt, but DON'T use salt tabs. Because they contain so much sodium in one place, it will draw the water in your body to your stomach when you take them. When it draws the water to your stomach, it dehydrates your body which is the complete opposite of what we want!
  6. Give yourself a schedule: I know that if you are bedridden (like me), it can be very hard just to get up in the morning. But, you should try to give yourself a schedule. Try waking up at a certain time every day, and going to bed at a certain time. When you give yourself a schedule it can help keep you from lying around in bed all day (which we definitely don't want!). 
  7. ALWAYS stay positive! I know that when your bedridden and you have a syndrome that not many people understand, it can kind of get you down in the dumps. Just remember that you're not crazy and that one day you'll grow out of this! Also know that you're not alone! It may seem like you're the only one with this syndrome, but there are thousands of people just like you, fighting your same battles!


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found your blog. I have been living with POTS for most of my life, and sometimes I have a hard time with the basics of living with it. Most of all it's great to see that there are others out there with this condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds a like like what I've been dealing with since my c-section. I'm going to push for the tilt-table test when I see my new doctor next week.

    ReplyDelete

*READ THIS*

*DISCLAIMER* This blog should not be used as a diagnosis or a treatment plan. If you have POTS or think you may have POTS, consult your doctor about what you should do. This blog is only for the purpose of giving some information and support for people with POTS and to document my progress in the exercise program.